Monday, October 16, 2006

Disunity

It actually takes quite some effort for a Spirit-filled Christian to take part in disunity in the body. Think about it. We would actually have to work against The Holy Spirit AND the intercession of Jesus. Jesus prayed, “I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are—23 I in them and you in me, all being perfected into one. Then the world will know that you sent me and will understand that you love them as much as you love me." It is only a matter of time that true Christians live in disunity before the intercession of Jesus and the power of The Holy Spirit manifest in Unity!

My friend Michael puts another spin on this scripture. "How many times have you asked Jesus for something? Well, here is one of His prayers that you can answer!" What? I can answer a prayer of Jesus? Sure! not by yourself though. It takes, the glory that Jesus gave us. It is ultimately from Him. What is His glory? It is his smoky sweet presence. Moses likely experienced this best next to those who beheld Jesus face to face [Zacchaeus
, the woman caught in adultery, the disciples]. This glory is stated in Exodus 34:6-7 , by YHWH Himself, “I am the Lord, I am the Lord, the merciful and gracious God. I am slow to anger and rich in unfailing love and faithfulness. 7 I show this unfailing love to many thousands by forgiving every kind of sin and rebellion. Even so I do not leave sin unpunished, but I punish the children for the sins of their parents to the third and fourth generations.”

God is truly with us, His glory when we are like Him: slow to anger, unfailing in love and faithfulness, forgiving and disciplining. We as Christians will get in each others hair, it is guaranteed. Our shortcomings and God-forbid sins rub each other the wrong way. But, if we are led by the Spirit, these shortcomings do not lead to hate, jealousy, contentions, etc. No! This is the flesh. Our shortcomings are actually an opportunity to show God's glory!

I think this is what John had in mind, "
14 If we love our Christian brothers and sisters, it proves that we have passed from death to eternal life. But a person who has no love is still dead. 15 Anyone who hates another Christian is really a murderer at heart. And you know that murderers don’t have eternal life within them. 16 We know what real love is because Christ gave up his life for us. And so we also ought to give up our lives for our Christian brothers and sister [1 John 3:14 - 16].


Praise God we're experiencing His glory and unity through His Spirit and His Son's intercession.

Glory!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home