Monday, February 05, 2007

Growing Up in the Church

I recently had been corrected for saying that I'm recovering from growing up as an Officer's Kid.

Let me say I think we are all in need of recovering from something. In my neighbourhood most people are in need of recovering from addictions. I honestly don't have these sorts of temptations or need of deliverance... BUT... I have deeper issues because I grew up in the church. I'm more like the Pharisees. My sins are more deep and internal. The words of whitewashed tomb or dirty inside of cup are where I am because... Things on the outside look really good.

The nice thing is that I live in this War College/614 Community where people see enough of me that they can see 'inside.' This helps with things like... lack of patience, self righteousness etc.

Here is one example: I'm on a trip across Canada with my friend and a guy whom I respect big time, Michael Collins. We're peeling potatoes in a kitchen and he asks, "Can I speak something into your life?" That's a dangerous question to say yes to! He says, "You know what your problem is? You're self-righteous and you don't even see it." OUCH... That hurt but it was true. I thought that because I did some good things they made me good or better than those who weren't being as good as me. Really, my goodness is from God. I fall short in everything I do. I see this now and the nice thing is... I have more grace for others... more importantly myself.

So did growing up as an officer's kid make me this way? NO! This is a sin of my intellect not my upbringing. But, my upbringing gave me the opportunity to struggle with pride more than shooting heroin in my arm. Problem is that pride, as Jesus says to Pharisees, is what keeps you away from God.

2 Comments:

At 2/05/2007 11:05 p.m., Blogger armybarmy said...

Nice word.
It's the blindness that accompanies Pharisee living that kills me... I'm blind even to my own hypocrisy and judgement... I think that's part of the beauty of true community... where I can't see - other's can.
Praise God for people who speak the truth in love and bring us back from our wanderings...

love the word.
Danielle

 
At 2/06/2007 1:21 p.m., Blogger Hezza said...

everybody needs a brother like that...who speaks what he sees not in moments of anger or resentment so that they maim, but in gentleness so that they bring healing and wisdom, and that's a lot easier to take!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home