Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Uniform


God has been really showing me that the old style uniform is cool and works. I was looking at some facebook photos and I really believe that people look their best when they wear their uniform. That is if they aren't dishevelled. Okay so it looks good not really a good point to be wearing it out much.

Here's a story from my past:

I was mad at hypocrisy in The Salvation Army and wanted to separate myself from empty religion as much as possible. So, I stopped wearing my uniform. Then the voice of the Lord came to me at church when I was looking at my wedding ring. He said, "Jonathan, why do you wear that ring?"
"Cause I love Carla, it is my symbol with her." I said.
"Why would you not wear your uniform then? Many people are unfaithful to their wedding vows and wear their wedding bands. That doesn't mean that you should get rid of your ring."
It hit me. Wearing the uniform is up to me and what I make it into. Where I wear it and how I use it as a witness. It isn't about misuse or lack of use. It was about me expressing my covenant with every other soldier and God.

So I started wearing it again, even when my friends took theirs off to go to Swiss Chalet after the meeting, mine would stay on. I loved how good of a witness it was.

Now, you might be of the group of people who hate how the uniform looks and wow, you're still reading! It is funny that the uniform can stir up such emotion with people in The Salvation Army. That is almost a point in itself. It shows we belong to each other and that their is meaning in donning the navy blue.

Some might say it is outdated. It doesn't work. It makes you look like a goof and people won't talk to you. My experience is the opposite. I also find that those people actually don't wear the uniform and thus, their experiment lacks sufficient sample sizes, controlled variables etc to make those statements valid.

Here is a story from an accepted Incendiary Sessions Tunic Tuesday [wear your Tunic today, even if it is just out to Tim Hortons... see what happens].

Wearing my tunic to school on Tuesday was amazing. Like, it kinda changes your demeanor, wearing something like that to a high school. It's not like wearing a cross necklace, or getting a fish tattooed to your forearm, it's definitely a lot more aggressive. I was blessed by it a lot. Just little comments throughout the day. From Nick Paisley asking me the difference between a soldiers uniform and a captains (and then defending me to his friends) to Mr. Poppy telling me stories about his father and grandfather, who were officers in the Army in Scotland and part of the Citadel band. The best part of the day was the last 3 hours of school. We had this huge grad assembly about drinking and driving, and a lady whose daughter had been killed in a car accident on prom night told her story of loss and mourning. Afterwards I thanked her and hugged her. She recognized the tunic and asked me to pray with her and begged me to keep my friends safe on prom night. She was crying while she was hugging me and she apologized for getting tears on my jacket. I said "No, it's okay. I'm fairly sure there's no article of clothing more suitable for tears to fall on."
Pretty much just incredible.
And though it still makes me kind of uncomfortable to be wearing a piece of uniform that displays a title that I do not have (last time I checked, I should definitely have blue epaulets with no stars, not red ones with 2) it was still a blessing to me and the people around me, and gave me several chances to share my faith and the SA's Doctrine with several people.

WOW!!! Now, don't tell me we shouldn't wear uniforms. When someone wears it equipped with The Holy Spirit God acts!

7 Comments:

At 5/01/2007 10:34 a.m., Blogger glennlavender said...

Nice post Jonathan!

Sometimes I miss wearing my good old uniform I've gotta say, because man, I look good in a uniform! Ha ha ha.

I'm reading a book right now called Contagious Christianity. The author talks about all the different ways of getting ourselves out of our immediate Christian circle. This way we can have an opportunity to influence others. Wearing the uniform in public is definitely a way to have people ask us questions and provide us with the opportunity to share our lives with them. The uniform is cool. Wear it!

 
At 5/01/2007 3:25 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

This story blessed my heart!

 
At 5/01/2007 6:42 p.m., Blogger jeff said...

Bring back the stand up tunic and the Guernsey and we got a deal!

Maybe it wasn't wearing the uniform that became a turn off to me. Maybe it was my lukewarm devotion to the Lord that caused me to remove it.
When a Salvationist is red hot for Jesus and living for the Army's real purpose, then the uniform is the breastplate of choice. This post stirred up conviction in me.
I used to think that wearing my uniform was really embarrassing. But now as I look back I think what was embarrassing was the phony wearing it.
I'm thinking when it's time to change things like the uniform, God will change things, In the meantime, there's a lot of seriously ill people needing Jesus out there. And they don't care what we are wearing. But hopefully when they do see someone in a uniform coming, they at least know someone must be on the way to help them. That's true isn't it? Please make it true War College. The world needs you guys/girls more than ever. Make it red hot.
Thanks for posting this. Inspiring.

 
At 5/03/2007 8:26 a.m., Blogger Denise said...

I've been thinking lately about not wearing my uniform on Sunday's anymore. We have a quasi-traditional group here in Bangor, so I'm sure I'd hear a few snickers. But honestly, they all know what I look like in my uniform - and I'm one of 3 people who wear the uni in full on a Sunday. So why wear it then? What am I saying? Maybe I'll adopt tunic tuesdays again...hmm...something to think about. Good post, Jonathan.

 
At 5/10/2007 8:57 a.m., Blogger sreno7 said...

Yeah Caitlyn

 
At 5/12/2007 5:07 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wear it and know that od will use it and you!

 
At 7/24/2007 3:36 p.m., Blogger sixonefour said...

I remember when all that went down...one week - no uni...the next week, I swivelled in my pew and there you were, all decked out. I remember how you looked and everything. I think you said that it was one of your dad's old uniforms, or maybe a grandpa...it caused quite a sensation among the 20somethings though...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home