Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A moment that must be encapsulated in a blog note

It is a dark, cold night. I've been walking back from cell church with a friend when I get to my hotel, "This is my stop!" I call out as I open the Empress Hotel front door, noting the bright neon signs out front. I've just been thinking about what I have to do tonight as I reach for the door to the old stairs I'm so used to climbing by now.
"Hey, you know the elevator's working?" says the front door attendant. I stop in my tracks.. What?! The elevator that hasn't been working since I got here? The elevator that hasn't been functioning for almost a year? The elevator that they tell us every month will be fixed? It's fixed?!
I'm very cautious as I look over at the green door. It catches me by surprise that the "out of order" sign no longer hangs where it did for so many days passed.
"Seriously?" I stop and ask. Another man in the lobby stops to tell me that he's lived here twenty years and would never trust that thing.
I think to myself, I don't really need to use it now that I live on the second floor.. but I MUST. I need to see for myself; I need to take the chance, at least once.
I slowly move towards the big green door, with caution; maybe it's all a joke, maybe I'll get stuck. My hand reaches for the up button...should I push it? Should I take the chance? Yes. Yes, everything is telling me yes. The button lights up! I watch in gleeful anticipation as the numbers above the door tell me what floor the elevator is approaching. It's like a fresh awakening! The sign reads the lobby, and the doors swing open.
Wow! So that's what it looks like! The inside is green, and surprisingly beautiful, with silver stripes all around. The smell, on the other hand, is nothing to enjoy, but certainly not something that I'm not used to living in the downtown eastside. It's musty, like old crack cocaine. It stinks at first, but I quickly recognize the scent and know I am used to it.
I stand there, as if in a dream. Am I really inside the Empress elevator? I feel as if I'm being taken to a strange and far-off land, where only candy and brightly coloured gnomes must exist. Where am I going to get out and what will it be like? Sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows?
I remember where I am and think for a brief second that I am going to die, then the doors open. Staring right in front of me is a wooden door with a bold sign reading "202" and I'm home.

The End

True story by the way!

Grace,
Megan Smith

1 Comments:

At 1/30/2008 8:58 p.m., Blogger jeff said...

this writing moved me. I am forever blessed by God's children at the war college. may God keep you safe and full of His blessings for your service there. And throughout your lives. amen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home