Friday, March 09, 2007

What about the rich?

I did a talk this morning highlighting God coming to earth and serving the poor. [I know he had some rich friends, but he did encourage them to give to the poor.] We see his teachings lived out in the early church where people would give up what they have to meet other people's needs. All of my Bible reading leads me to believe that God wants us to take care of each other, especially those who don't have much. I like passages like Isaiah 58, 61, Luke 4:18, Acts 4, James 1:27... They enforce that belief. So I give the whole shabang and in question time someone asked me... "What about the rich? Is there any ministry or outreach to them? Which church reaches out to the rich?"

I was a little perplexed because, from what I have experienced and seen... most churches cater to the needs, comforts and concerns of those who have a lot. Dressing up nice for Sundays is usually a part of the routine, which is nice if you are rich. Going out for dinner after church is nice, if you are rich. Getting to church is nice, if you have a car or are within walking distance. The songs we sing are pretty familiar and nicely contemporary [my preference too]... which really doesn't cater to the rocking tunes my neighbours prefer. So to answer the question, I think we actually have to ask the opposite? Which church isn't for the rich? I know there are a bunch of these too, because I see them located in my neighbourhood. First United opens its doors for shelter beds at night and the pews are beds during the day. Jacob's Well has a community Kitchen. Street Church faithfully has a service with hotdogs. Potter's place is located on the toughest block of Vancouver. These few churchs, I think, are the exception.

Oh and to answer the question... Cariboo Hill was mentioned as a church that can do both... They build relationships with the poor and invite them to participate in doing the soup truck... Plus, in my cell group we have a nice income diversity. One of my friends is in med school. Another guy comes from White Rock. One guy came from North Vancouver... and then there is me... middle of the road.. Then war college students [opportunity and upbringing]... and also people from the streets and slum hotels. The nice thing in my group, there isn't much separation because we are all coming in the name of Jesus. Isn't it great that God is about breaking down our social boundaries?

5 Comments:

At 3/11/2007 7:18 a.m., Blogger Matthew said...

I'm sorry but I don't agree with you. We are not serving or ministering to the rich. We are serving and ministering to the rich WHO ALREADY ATTEND CHURCH. Not many are doing anything to bring in anyone new into our churches...rich or poor.
We still need an outreach and mission to those who have money or are considered 'rich' because a lot of the time it is the 'rich' who are indeed truly poor.
It's something I see a lot here in Ottawa - it is those who are poor in monetary funds who are dedicated and loyal to God and those who are rich in monetary gains who shun God and the Church saying they have money and for that they don't need God.
It is NOT a sin to be rich - but it is a sin to mishandle your money if you are rich...if you know what I mean.
I think we need a new strategy in how we can minister and outreach to the rich...I myself don't have an answer for this...yet...but it's something that has been on my heart A LOT lately.

-Champ Out

 
At 3/12/2007 10:03 p.m., Blogger The War College said...

Hey Good point:

I guess I should have told you my answer was that I know other ministries that target the rich. Hillsong, most prosperity gospel churches and

As for TSA. You're right, we're not reaching the rich, as a denomination, I know some PR officers who get in there with good news. However, I think we have exactly what the rich need... asking them to partner in what God is doing for the poor. In this way they find God in loving people [Is 58, matt 25].

 
At 3/13/2007 12:24 a.m., Blogger Caitlyn said...

Mother Theresa said that it is in the rich that we find a different kind of poverty, we find loneliness. This kinda made me think of that.
Grace.

 
At 3/13/2007 4:56 p.m., Blogger The War College said...

That is really true. There is a huge poverty in the rich. However, the god of this age has used their riches and comfort to dull their need. Also, their riches enable them to be excluded from others, thus being self-sufficient. However, self-sufficiency leads to lonliness. Great!

My only concern would be using the 'poverty of the rich' to try to blow off chapters like Isaiah 58, 61 or Amos 5. They are tangible calls to a materialistic poverty.

 
At 3/14/2007 2:45 p.m., Blogger Matthew said...

Don't get me wrong - I totally understand what you're saying but the way you're saying it makes me feel like you think it's a sin to be rich. Which we all know it's not a sin to have money - it's a sin to squander your money but it's not a sin to have it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home