Saturday, March 08, 2008

non-violence?

I wonder if I try really hard if I can keep up with this blogging deal. I now have a computer and internet so I should be able to. I think I am going to try, on my own blog as well. 

Tonight we went to Merton's Peace Conference. Well, it wasn't much of a conference. It was a packed room where a Mr. John Deer (not the tractor guy) spoke about non-violence. With everything in me I want to agree with all that he was saying. I want to be able to say that I believe that there is absolutely no reason or situation for violence to be used, ever. But I don't.
Maybe it's the fact that I am American that there is something in me that just shouts no! Maybe somehow I have taken up this desire, as most Americans have, to protect with my own human authority and not trust in the Lord, as though I could more practically protect someone from harm!
I agree that it's probably not what the Lord would want from me - to act violently. To try and combat violence with violence, thus contributing to the endless cycle of death in our world. 
However, when I think of the many possible situation where I would instinctively act in violence I wonder - would that be sin? I suppose it makes sense that since by nature, we are born sinners and if I choose to go against the will of the Lord - then it would be sin. 
Obviously the Lord desires peace among us. He gave us this gift. After His death, He arose and left with us peace. We however, live in a fallen world filled with evil not peace. As much as I would enjoy and favor the Ethiopian idea, it is not fully manifest on Earth. Where there is not peace in this world, as Christian, what are we to do? Walk in the opposite spirit, or defend the innocent and helpless? 

happy woman's day.

1 Comments:

At 3/08/2008 3:03 p.m., Blogger War Room 614 said...

Good post Jenea. Good wrestling with this stuff.

To your last question: "Walk in the opposite spirit, or defend the innocent and helpless?"

The answer is both. Non-violence does not mean non-involvement. It means standing up for the innocent by other means, and making your life, and death if need be, count for them.

Better to be involved violently than to do nothing, but far, far better to involve ourselves non-violently and honour the sanctity of God's creation.

Grace,

Aaron

 

Post a Comment

<< Home