Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Life

It's been a while since I've blogged, but an experience today with the kids was so profound that I want to share it. In discipleship with the kids today we shared the story of Ezekiel 33 and the army of dry bones. After having traced the kids outlines on the sidewalk, we had them act out the story of the dry bones while Caitlyn narrated it (Jael was ezekiel, with Caitlyn's help, while the rest lay in their outlines as dead bodies). They understood it all - that a dead army couldn't do anything and that God told Ezekiel to pray for the dead army. God breathed once and they stood up; God breathed a second time and they came alive (and had a dance party, so our version went). When we told the kids that the point of the story is that God brings life, they started jumping and dancing and proclaiming life loudly! When I saw this, I asked them if they could stand on their outlines (of dead bodies) and do the same thing to pray for the Church - so they did! What an incredible prophetic act declaring that their is life for The Salvation Army, for the Church, for the Downtown Eastside, for all! And it was all basically the kids idea. What a moment. It was the highlight of my day by far to see little children, the oldest being four, engaging in warfare and fighting on the side of the life that only God can bring to an army of dry bones.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Term Three has begun. As I've done for the previous two terms, here's what our daily class schedule looks like so you know what's going on:

Monday - Friday 9:00 am Praying the Bible
Monday 9:30 am - Holiness, J. Evans
Monday 1:00 pm - Squad (accountability groups), C. White, K. Ivany, B. Wulfing, J. Gomez
Tuesday 9:30 am - Advanced Warfare Research Project, C. Evans
Tueday 1:00 pm - Discipleship time
Wednesday 9:30 am - Gardening, A. White
Wednesday 1:00 pm - School of Justice, K. Ivany
Thursday 9:30 am - Comparative Writings, S. Bell
Thursday 1:00 pm - Drill, D. Melanson
Friday 9:30 am - Martyrdom, M. Collins
Friday 12:00 pm - Consistent Life Ethics, K. Walker and A. White
Friday 2:00 pm - Holy Space, J. Evans/Sessiontime

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been meaning to blog what books I've been reading because I'm attempting to read one a month this year. So far I've read

January - Be a Hero, S. Court and W. Campbell
February - The Divine Romance, (I forget who wrote it but it was really good, about the relationship between God and his Bride)
March - The Uprising: A Holy Revolution?, O. Munn and S. Court
April - Peace is the Way: Writings on Nonviolence from the Fellowship of Reconciliation

So far, I'd reccommend all of them. I'm working on Peace is the Way right now. It's a big book but I'm really enjoying it. There are writings by Martin Luther King Jr., Mohatma Ghandi, Daniel Berrigan, Thomas Merton, and more. I am really coming to love the Fellowship of Reconciliation's work (one more reason for me to move to NY sometime in my lifetime). They are the largest, oldest interfaith peace organization in America. Reconciliation has really been put on my heart by the Lord lately.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you find these updates useful. Is it really 15 more days until I'm on a plane for a weekend in Chicago? :-D

Peace out,

Megan S

1 Comments:

At 4/20/2008 12:03 a.m., Blogger Victory of the People said...

By Ezekeil 33 she means Ezekiel 37... and im confused...what Kids dicsiplship? and who is 4?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home